Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Overwhelmed? To Say the Least!

I always find it calming and reassuring when I'm feeling overwhelmed or out of control to make a list or design a plan.  Boy, do I need a plan now.  I started reading the Professional Genealogist or more loving known as Progen.  It is basically a textbook with all 654 pages exploding with essential genealogical information.  Being a reference book geek, I can truly say I'm in love with it!  Who wouldn't want guidance, advice, resource lists, how-tos and how-not-tos at their disposal.  My only problem is the more I read (and I'm only on chapter 5) the more I want to do.  Well, you say that's a good thing.  I've been inspired to learn - never a bad thing especially since I'm an educator.  Yes, I guess it's a wonderful predicament, but I'm on overload so much that I've had a few sleepless nights.  One of those sleepless nights, 2:30AM to be exact, I was reading genealogy articles on my cell phone and learned about a Progen study group (progenstudy.org) available to those who want to learn more and be evaluated by our peers.  I was in, they had me at....this will help you with your certification portfolio, but it lasts for 19 months and I want to take the class at Boston U. in the spring and then apply for the certification and work full time - no time!
So now my new dilemma, how do I make more time.  If I could do that I could bottle it and sell it, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

I did sign up to attend an ancestry.com day at a local historical society.  I'm very excited to spend the day discussing the topic I'm most passionate about.  It should be a great day, but still six weeks away.  I guess for now, I'll keep delving into Progen, write notes on my sticky pads, and start figuring out where I should go next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your input, but please be aware that this blog is intended for family, friends, and anyone generally interested in genealogy.